New Zealand National Schools of Character 2014 – Nominations Invited
National Schools of Character are schools and colleges that are able to demonstrate intentional character education initiatives that yield positive results for student behaviour, citizenship, school culture and academic achievement.
National School of Character Award winners receive an engraved plaque and a $1,000 cheque. The awards are for four years.
Written nominations of no more than 1,000 words should be sent to email@example.com before 15 August 2014.
The nomination narrative should include the following:
- Basic contact and demographic information about the school and its students. Including the name and position of the person who is making the nomination.
- A one-paragraph description of the school culture, what are seen as the key elements contributing to the school culture and how it has changed over time.
- A one-paragraph description on the intentional approach and the positive impacts that have resulted from this.
- A one-paragraph description outlining impacts on students’ behaviour over time.
- A one-paragraph description pertaining to impacts on citizenship.
- A one-paragraph description outlining improvements in academic achievement over time.
- A final paragraph summarising why the nominator believes the school or college is worthy of this prodigious award and what is seen as the next steps in developing the approach.
All sections of the nomination should be completed with enough detail for the evaluators to judge the effectiveness of the practice.
Nominators are encouraged, where possible, to use a statement, explanation, example or evidence of the outcomes of character education in the school or college.
A selection panel of four will evaluate the nominations using the following weightings; student behaviour 5, citizenship 5, school culture 5, academic achievement 5, intentional approach 10.
The receipt of National School of Character Award nominations will be acknowledged in writing and the winners will be advised by 26 September 2014.
This will allow time for winners to arrange an appropriate occasion for the presentation of the National School of Character Award during Character Counts Week! 19 – 25 October.
The winning nominations will be edited and published in National Schools of Character 2014 which will be sent to all schools and colleges.
- Warwick Moyle, Principal, Kaharoa School, Rotorua
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 07 332 3444